As the Chairperson of the Public Service Commission, she provides strategic leadership on policy direction for the realization of the mandate of PSC. The Commission Board that she chairs provides an oversight role to the PSC Secretariat. Prior to joining the Public Service Commission, she was the founding Director General of the Kenya School of Government.
Professor Kobia has taught Management, Entrepreneurship and Research Methods at University level. Her research interests include Public Sector Reforms, Performance Management Training and Knowledge Management. Professor Kobia is the Chief Editor of the refereed African Journal of Public Administration and Management.
In 2014, she worn a regional recognition as Africa’s most influential woman in Business and Government awarded by CEO Magazine of South Africa. Professor Kobia sits on a number of Public Sector Management Board including KASNEB, JSC and KENAO.
At the International level, she serves as the Vice President of Commonwealth Association of Public Administration and Management (CAPAM) and Co-chair of the Effective Institutions Platform (EIP). The EIP is global innovative peer learning platform on institutional reform formed in 2012, under OECD and the UNDP Centre for Global Public Service Excellence in Singapore. As an active academic, Professor Kobia supervises PhD research students.
Ambassador Peter O. Ole Nkuraiyia holds an Executive Masters of Business Administration (EMBA) from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and Sociology and a Post Graduate Diploma in International Relations from the University of Nairobi.
He is a career diplomat who prior to his appointment served in various Kenya's Missions abroad including Harare Zimbabwe, Uganda, Stockholm Sweden, Paris France, Kenya's Ambassador to the Kingdom of Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, and Kenya's Permanent Representative to the European Union. While in Brussels, he was the chairman of the sub-committee on trade and tariffs and co-chairman of African Caribbean and Pacific Group of states (ACP)/European Union (EU) Committee on Trade and Commodity Protocols. He was leader of the Kenyan delegation to the signing of the Partnership Agreement in 2000 (Cotonou Agreement) between the European Union and the ACP group of states. He also served as chairman of the ACP committee on trade that negotiated the ACP/EU waiver in the World Trade Organization (WTO) Doha Round 2001.
As the Kenya's High Commissioner to the Republic of Uganda, he was in charge of the Great Lakes Region and was in the lead team that negotiated the Burundi Peace Agreement as well as the East African Cooperation negotiations leading to the signing of the protocol that gave birth to the East African Community.
He also served as the Secretary/Chief Executive Officer of the Commission for the Implementation of the Constitution and Permanent Secretary in the Ministries of East African Community and Foreign Affairs. He has been awarded First Class Order of the Chief of the Burning Spear (CBS) in recognition of his distinguished service.
Professor Michael N.I. Lokuruka, Ph.D, is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission:
Academic and Professional Qualifications
B.Sc. Food Science & Technology (University of Nairobi), Postgraduate Diploma Fish Processing Technology (University of Trondheim, Norway), Postgraduate Certificate in Food Technology (University of Jerusalem, Israel), M.Sc. Food Science (University of Reading, UK), Ph.D. Food Science (Cornell University, USA)
Professional member and Honorary Secretary, Kenya Institute of Food Science and Technology
Major Work Affiliations
- Current-Public Service Commission of Kenya (from 15th January 2013)
- Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Karatina University College, Kenya (July 2012-January 2013)
- Schneiders Foods and Loblaws Company, Canada (2004-2006)
- Cornell University, USA (1999-2004, Ph.D. and Post-Doctoral Work)
- Department of Dairy and Food Science and Technology, Egerton University, Kenya (March 1988-Jan 1999, May 2006-June 2012)
- Various Food Industries (1979-1988)
- Research and Consultancy in Food quality Assurance, Food Handling and Hygiene
- Cooperative Societies and University Management
- University Teaching, Counselling, Mentoring, Curricula Development and Human Resource Management
- Consulting and Setting up Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) and Food Safety and Quality Management Systems in the Food Industry
- Internal Auditor for ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 22,000:2005 Systems
- Writing articles and books, Proposals and Technical Review of academic Writings
- Directorship in Public Boards.
Major work experiences-projects and consultancies
- Volunteer Chair, Editor and Contributor of Turkana County Strategic Plan (2013-2017)
- Dairy Projects Monitoring and Evaluation for Davina and Qualispess Consultants (2010)-Central Kenya and Eastern Regions of Kenya
- Consultant Trainer forMarine Fish Quality Improvement and Marketing Project for ACT Kenya, sponsored by the European Union (2011-2012)
- Consultant and Development Trainer for Centre for Minority Rights (CEMIRIDE,Kenya) (2007-2010)
- Setting up Quality Standards of Lake Victoria and Kenya Marine Fish (2007-2009)
- Investigating Scombrotoxin Formation in Temperate Fish of New York State (2000-2002) and Kenyan Marine Fish (2001-2003)
- HACCP establishment in Fish Factories (Cornell University and New York State Department of Health)-(2000 to 2002)
- Food Science Researcher (1979-1985, 1999-2012)
- Food Quality Controller, Processor and General Manager (1979-1985)
Summary of Publications and Conference Papers
Published 2 books in Food Science, 2 book chapters, 24 peer-reviewed journal articles and 1 peer-reviewed article abstract; 7 conference papers.
Patrick G. Gichohi, CBS is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission. Prior to his appointment Mr. Gichohi served as a Parliamentary Officer for 33 years having been recruited on 3rd October, 1979 as a Parliamentary Clerk Trainee by the Public Service Commission. He was appointed as the Fourth Clerk of the Kenya National Assembly by the Parliamentary Service Commission on 26th May, 2008. He has been awarded State commendation of Chief of Burning Spear on 12th December, 2008 by His Excellency the President and Citation by the State of Wisconsin, United States of America.
He has initiated key parliamentary reforms and facilitated Public-Private Sector partnership in the Parliamentary Reform programs. In May, 2012 he was appointed Returning Officer for the Election of the Members of the Third Assembly of the East African Legislative Assembly. He was also commissioned as a consultant for the proposed Establishment of the East African Legislative Training Institute, Tanzania. He has also served as the Chair of the Society of Clerks in the Commonwealth Parliaments.
He graduated with a Bachelor of Education (University of Nairobi) and is in possession of various certificates in management and Parliamentary Procedures and Practices.
He is a member of the Society of the Clerks-at-the-Table in the Commonwealth Parliaments. He is also a member of the Association of the Secretary Generals of Parliament of the Inter Parliamentary Union, Geneva, Switzerland. He is a fellow of the United States Conference of the State Legislatures. He has served as Honorary Secretary and Treasurer of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (Kenya Branch), and the Inter-Parliamentary Union (Kenya Group). He has published various books on parliamentary procedures.
Lawrence Kitti Nyalle is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission. He has experience in Management, Finance and ICT. He is a leader at the work place and worked as a Business Consultant prior to appointment as a member of the Public Service Commission. In 2008 he joined Afrox limited in South Africa as Senior Audit Manager, Africa Region and later as Human Resources Manager for Afrox African Operations. He worked as Head of Audit and Risk at BOC Kenya Limited from 2004 to 2007. He has carried out projects locally and internationally. He has experience in ERP systems and is proficient in various ICT tools and systems.
He is a holder of a Master of Business Administration degree (University of Nairobi), Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science (University of Nairobi) and a Bachelor of Science Degree (University of Nairobi). He is a Certified Public Accountant of Kenya CPA (K) and is also graduate and alumni of the Sundoulos African Leadership Training. He is a member of the Institute of Internal Auditors and the Kenya House of Prayer.
Ms. Birgen is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission. She is an accomplished professional with over 25 years comprehensive Management experience in both Public and private sector. Ms. Birgen has strong background in Human Resource and organizational Development. Her career started from the Office of the President in 1985 as an Assistant Secretary where she was deployed to the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Tourism & Wildlife from 1986 to 1997 in various senior capacities. In 1998 she joined Kenya Tourist Board as a Senior Human Resource Officer rising to the position of Head of Human Capital & Administration. Since 2010 she has been a Consultant in organizational Restructuring with Tetralink and Taylor Associates E. A. Currently she is a Commissioner in the Public Service Commission of Kenya. MS. Birgen is especially skilled in Strategic Human Resource Planning, Budget controlling, regulatory compliance certification and Quality Assurance Standards. She has excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build and lead highly efficient and effective teams. She has travelled extensively in the course of her work and gained international exposure. Veronica was appointed as Commissioner of Public Service in January 9, 2013.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Ms.Birgen graduated with Honours in Political Science & History from the University of Nairobi and holds a Master of Science degree in Organizational Development from the United States International
- She has a postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource and Development from Institute of Human Resource – Kenya
- Certification on Organizational Excellence -RIPA-UK
- Organizational Performance Management-CIPD-UK
- Certification on Strategic Leadership skills & Project Management from Setym International Canada
- Advanced Public Administration- Kenya Institute of Administration
- Competent with Microsoft Office Applications (word, access, excel, PowerPoint, outlook, internet and Microsoft Project)
- Proficient with Operating systems such as Windows 98, 2000, Millennium and XP 2000 Windows Vista
- Experience user of in-house software databases.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS/ MEMBERSHIPS OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Member - Kenya Institute of Management(KIM)
- Member Institute of Human Resource Management Kenya
- Director- WASREB and Chairperson of the Corporate Committee,
- Director of DBSP- Empowering Lives International the Kenyan Chapter
Member of Social Committee - St. Austin Catholic Church
Catherine Omweno is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission. She is a Human Resource Specialist with extensive experience in the Human Resource management profession. Commissioner Omweno started as personnel officer rising to the level of Chief Personnel Officer with civil service where she did twelve years in various ministries , and moved on to join CARE-Kenya and Jomo Kenyatta Foundation, where she worked for one year each. She was Head of Human Resource for CMC Group of Companies for 17 years, and also did a stint with the Institute of Human Resource Management as an Associate Human resource Consultant and lastly with Spectre International until January 2013 when she was appointed as a Member of the Public Service Commission.
- Strategic planning from development, implementation monitoring and, evaluation.
- Job evaluation, reviewing and designing job descriptions, job analysis and grading of jobs.
- Performance Management, and use of Balanced Scorecard tool.
- Developing KPIs and training staff on how to manage and monitor, performance leading to institutionalizing a performance driven culture.
- Designing rewards incentive structures-monetary and non- monetary to attract, retain and keep staff motivated.
- Good knowledge of Kenyan labour laws and other international employment legislation. I have led negotiations on revision of collective Bargaining Agreements.
- Employee relations, complaint and grievance handling procedures, and providing staff with communication forums.
- Developing and reviewing of Human Resource policy and procedure manuals.
- Organization development and culture change.
- Employee satisfaction surveys.
- Customer satisfaction surveys.
- Safety, health and employee wellness programs.
- HIV/AIDS awareness programs.
- Masters in Business Administration Moi University- 2009
- Bachelor of Arts, Panjab University—India - 1979
- CPS Final - 1987
- Certified professional Trainer (CPT) IHRM.
- Train of Trainers (TOT) from K.I.E,
- Trained Trainer of Trustees of pension schemes program- College of Insurance.
Research work/ Publications
- MBA -Research on Effects on Health and Safety on employee productivity at CMC Motors Group .
Membership to Professional Bodies
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries.
Dr. Bwonya is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission. She has had a long and distinguished career in the Public Health sector, having served in the Ministry of Health since 1983. She served as a distinguished District Medical Officer of Health in various districts. She worked at the Ministry Headquarters in the Health Sector Reform Secretariat and as Head of the department of Standards and Regulatory Services. Dr. Bwonya was a member of the Task force that established the Consortium for National Health Research. She was appointed to lead the ministry team that developed the draft Health Bill under the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
She has served on Various secondary school Boards of Management, the Clinical Officers’ Council, the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board, KEMRI and the NHIF Boards. She was also a member of Consortium for National Health Research Board of Management.
EDUCATION/ PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS
Dr. Bwonya graduated with Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Nairobi and holds a Master of Public Health from the same University.
She holds certificates in Public Policy Formulation, Implementation and Analysis; Senior Leadership Development; Health and Human Rights; Strategic leadership and Change Management; Corporate Governance and Corruption Prevention; Women Managers Entrepreneurial Development; Health Systems Development, an Advanced International Training; Standards and Regulatory Services for quality assurance among others.
MEMBERSHIPS OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
Dr. Bwonya is a member of the Kenya Medical Association and is Registered with the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board of Kenya.
She is listed in the 7th Edition of Who is Who among Business and Professional Women in the world.
Judith is a co-author of a paper published in the World Health and Population Report Volume 13, Number 2 of 2011 titled “Making Non-discrimination and Equal Opportunity a Reality in Kenya’s Health Provider Education System: Results of a Gender Analysis”.
Titus Muthini Ndambuki is a Commissioner of the Public Service Commission.
He holds a Masters degree in Economics from Williams College (USA), Bachelor of Philosophy degree in Economics from University of Nairobi and a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics and Statistics from the same University.
Mr Ndambuki has also attended various courses in management and leadership skills from various institutes such as the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex-England, Cardiff University College Population Centre, Wales (UK), the Economics Institute, Boulder, Colorado, Royal Institute of Public Administration (UK), and the University of Manchester (UK).
While working as the Programme Director for the Civil Service Reform Secretariat, he successfully steered the Public Service Reforms by providing guidance in translating policy guidelines on reform initiatives to specific and operational plans, tasks and targets in Ministries and Departments Mr Ndambuki served as Permanent Secretary- Ministry of State for Public Service from 7th December, 2005 t0 8th January, 2012. During his tenure, Mr. Ndambuki initiated a number of public service reforms including (a) performace contracting (b) training revolving fund (C) Medical Cover for civil servants (d) contributory pension scheme (e) Retirement age to sixty(60) years etc.
Besides other community development initiatives, Mr. Ndambuki is a Board Chairman of Kikelenzu Secondary School and a trustee of Tumaini International..
He was awarded the Chief of the Burning Spear (CBS) and Head of State Commendation(HSC) by His Excellency the President in recognition of his sterling performance in the Public Service..
Born in Machakos District on 1st September 1958, Mr. Ndambuki is married and has four children.