ALICE ATIENO OTWALA, (MRS.), CBS
Alice Atieno Otwala is the Secretary and Chief Executive Officer, Public Service Commission since 0ctober 2012 when she took over the reigns at the Commission following a Competitive process including public vetting and interviews as envisaged in the new Constitutional dispensation. She holds a Masters Degree in Public Administration from the Liverpool University (United Kingdom) and a Bachelors of Arts Degree in Government and Geography from the University of Nairobi
Alice has attended several courses in Public Administration and participated in high level international Conferences. She is an Alumni of Strathmore Business School after going through a Post Graduate programme in Strategic Management. She is a member of Kenya Institute of Management (KIM) and Kenya Association for Public Administration and Management (KAPAM).
After joining the public service as an Assistant Secretary in the Ministry of Commerce in 1982 she rose through the ranks to become the Secretary and Chief Executive Officer of the Public Service Commission in October 2012. Her long service of 31 years exposed her to the rigours of service in various Government Ministries and Departments including 20 years in Office of the President, 5 years at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and 3 years in Ministry of East Africa, 4 years as Deputy Commission Secretary.
Setting up the 1st computerization of All Administrative Officers Records at the office of the President.
Developing the first Training Manual for training of Chiefs and Assistant Chiefs throughout the Country.
Relocating the CID Department to its current location with all logistics intact.
Settling the US Embassy after the Bomblast of 1998 as head of America’s Division in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Steering restructuring of the Public Service Commission Secretariat to enable it deliver on the Constitutional Mandate.
A mentor, an Administrator and a Logistician.
- Chairperson of the Board of Governors, Uyawi Secondary School;
- Member of Development Committee of Olago Primary School in Uyawi Location;
- Psychological Counselor at workplace and community level after undergoing a Basic Counseling skills Course at Amani Counseling Centre, Nairobi;
- Member Church Councils of:
- St.Barnabas (1987 -1988)
- St. Veronica Church (10 years)
- Christ Church Westland’s (2007 to date)
- Ridgeways Baptist Church (2011 to date)
- Member of Development Committee of Ridgeways Baptist Church.
- Founder and Patron of a Community based organization, “Missioners of Hope” which organizes community development, annual Medical Camps, HIV Aids awareness campaigns, youth Sports, Women Seminars and Community based initiatives in various communities in the country.
- Passionate about orphans and girl-child. Has a record of mentoring and bringing up 26 so far through schools, colleges and universities.