The Commission dates back to 1954 when Civil Service Commission was established by British Colonial Government following Holmes Commission Report, 1948. Civil Service Commission played an advisory role to the Governor in matters of appointments. At independence in 1963, it was enshrined in the Constitution and renamed Public Service Commission (PSC). Under the Independence Constitution there were Regional PSCs but these were abolished in 1964 following constitutional amendment. PSC is the oldest Constitutional Commission, whose mandate has expanded over the years.
The Commission then constituted of a Chairman, a Deputy Chairman and fifteen members all appointed by the President. It handled matters of human resource management in the public service, especially the civil service and local authorities. The Constitution of Kenya, 2010 promulgated on 27th August 2010 reconstituted the Commission with a redefined and expanded mandate and a lean membership of Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and seven members.